Updates:
        Cc: xiaof...@google.com

Comment #1 on issue 444 by liuj...@google.com: ShutdownProtobufLibrary() have to be called from each binaries, not only once.

I think static link another library to a dynamic library is quite platform dependent. From the behavior you noted, it seemed that the dll just linked the code but did not export any symbols; all the global variables defined in the protobuf library were duplicated.

I don't see a way to have a general function for the shutdown, because the libprotobuf is not exported in the dll. The only way is to propagate the shut down function (export another function which is delegated to the protobuf shutdown) in the dll. You can then call the exported function before your main exits.

Or maybe just do not static the protobuf library in the dll.