Mark,

I usually use SpringEL when creating a protobuf using Spring XML; like this:

<property
      name="foobar"
      value="#{
T(your.protobuf.package.OuterType$MsgType).newBuilder().setField1( "foo"
).setField2( "bar" ).build() }"/>
See
http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/3.2.x/spring-framework-reference/html/expressions.html
 for