Cross-posted from
https://plus.google.com/103146034564209742520/posts/bV6kfkhH1t9

Hello, Google Protocol Buffers team!

I see it's almost the time of year again for another protocol buffers
release, more or less. I was wondering, before you do the release is there
any chance you could look at my patches for these issues in the public bug
tracker and tell me why they've apparently been silently rejected?

https://code.google.com/p/protobuf/issues/detail?id=485 : ByteString should
be Serializable
https://code.google.com/p/protobuf/issues/detail?id=501 : Repetitive code
adding to extension registry trips over java compiler's method limits
https://code.google.com/p/protobuf/issues/detail?id=579 : An excessive
number of messages in a single file can also generate uncompilably large
methods.

(Those last two bugs have a combined patch in a comment to bug 501)

>From my perspective I've gotten no feedback at all since filing the
bugs/patches, except that the first bug was marked "accepted", though I can
also look in the subversion repo and see that these patches haven't been
applied. I'd like to know if these bugs are going to be addressed at all,
and whether there's something inadequate about my patches.

I realize that neither I nor my employer give Google a single cent for
this, but it would be nice to have some way to distinguish the effect of
filing a bug (with patch) to the bug tracker from the effect of printing
out my patch and dropping it in the shredder.