I was wondering if anyone had any success implementing this with a HashMapthat
has a pointer to a
BufferedImage.
Example:
Map thumb = new HashMap<String, BufferedImage>();

I am currently using Serialization with a custom writeObject() and
readObject() to turn the BufferedImage into a byte[] and back again.

However this process takes roughly 25 second+ for approximately 18,000
BufferedImages (size: 16pixels x 12pixels) previously loaded into memory to
be serialized into a file (resulting size 9,408 KB).
Please note this all happening on a SSD (so disk write speed should not be
an issue).

There has be a faster way to do this perhaps Protocol Buffers can help, I
am just not sure the best way to handle a BufferedImage with it would be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Joe