I was able to change the BufferedImage to an ImageIcon which is
Serializable.
This along with using the FST Serialization class/jar I was able to improve
the over all write time to about 10 seconds for a total write size of about
140 MB
Which is still only 14MB/s write speed when I know I can write at 150+MB/s

My question is can ProtoBuf handle serializing an ImageIcon, Color, or any
Java objects besides basic Strings and Ints? and is it faster the FST?

Also one of my custom object classes has a nested object class inside of
it, will this slow down serialization?