On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 10:11 PM, Patrick Wendell <pwend...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Established based on what conventions?

On the convention of how protobuf releases have been done... Would you
be happier if it was protobuf2 4.0 and protobuf2 5.0?

> It means that if you want to write a library that uses proto-bufs you can't
> inter-operate with other libraries that also use protobufs.

Not ones that use protobufs compiled against a different major version
of the library. These come out every year or two. AFAIK this has
always been the case. (You can avoid this problem by just building the
proto as part of the build process rather than shipping the generated
files. I'm fairly sure that the generated API's should be
backwards-compatible.)

Hopefully someone from Google can address your other concerns.

  -ilia