Hi All,

I work on Apache Spark which is an open source project. We have recently
been dealing with a lot of pain due to the fact that the Java Protobuf
libraries for 2.4.X and 2.5.0 are not binary compatible. This makes it
really difficult for users to include two dependencies A and B that depend
on different versions of protobuf-java.

Are these incompatibilities an omission, or is this an intentional policy
that protobuf is okay making API-breaking changes in minor versions? This
violates typical semantic-versioning conventions and makes it pretty tough
for downstream users.

I don't see any references to library compatibility in the Java protobuf
page or the FAQ - apologies if this is covered somewhere...
https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/javatutorial
https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/faq

- Patrick