The Linux protoc in protoc-jar is a static 64bit build, I think on some
RedHat flavor. But it still has some .so dependencies, libc.so, etc. I'm
guessing that's the issue?

If some Linux expert could provide a fully static build (no shared libs at
all), I think that should work on most Linuxes. Happy to include it in
protoc-jar

Porting the whole thing to Java sounds great but may not be that trivial,
not sure

Cheers
--Oliver