Owner: liuj...@google.com
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 669 by d.vas...@gmail.com: Disabling backward compatibility for some messages only
https://code.google.com/p/protobuf/issues/detail?id=669

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. .Proto doesn't have option to disable backward compatibility for a message
2.
3.

Latest

My keeping messages to be extended for forward compatibility provides an opportunity to send a message with huge optional fields causing a DoS. Suppose if i have an authentication message in .proto with fields username & password. An unauthorized user can send a invalid username & password with GBs of optional field which could easily fill up my server memory. It would be better if there is an option to disable optional fields support for some messages.