Comment #5 on issue 669 by d.vas...@gmail.com: Disabling backward compatibility for some messages only
https://code.google.com/p/protobuf/issues/detail?id=669

Setting a message limit actually reduces these attacks. 4KB is too little, it will break forward compatibility in most cases. People prefer binary encoding like google protocol buffer as the data on wire is bigger in size. I believe that there might be some genuine cases where we need to set a high message limit say 30Mb. If a attacker sends a message with 1kb required field & 28MB optional fields then the parser would successfully unpack the data. After that the application would keep the message in memory for further processing. If these message gets accumulated after a while the system memory fills up causing DoS.