We use protobuf in REST services developed in java, c++ and python with
clients in the same languages.

We plan to write some javascript clients and that's why we have a look to
proto3 and json.

In this use case, I do not see why the behavior should be different between
the binary and json because it is the same API with different serialization.

It will not be a big issue if we have to write our custom json parser but
i'm curious to have the arguments of a different behavior.