> On Mar 18, 2016, at 10:37 AM, Feng Xiao <xiaof...@google.com> wrote:
>
> In a lot of places, you can't simply switch from protobuf binary format to
> JSON format and expect it to work exactly the same way

Actually, I'm more interested in the other direction:  Switching existing
JSON-based systems (currently using various ad hoc JSON parsers) to use fast,
safe protoc-generated JSON parsers.

>From what I understand so far, it sounds like Any was designed for systems
>that are primarily using protobuf binary support and would like occasional
>JSON interoperability (and are willing to invest in transcoding proxies to
>enforce this).

But your design is not symmetric:  people who are primarily invested in JSON
but might like to interoperate with protobuf binary for a few
performance-critical areas can't really use Any in the same ways.  This is odd,
since every other part of the proto3 design works equally well for systems that
are primarily JSON or primarily protobuf.

Tim