> On Mar 17, 2016, at 10:04 AM, Feng Xiao <xiaof...@google.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 7:49 PM, Tim Kientzle <kient...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 14, 2016, at 7:07 PM, Feng Xiao <xiaof...@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > In google, we are using a front-end proxy to convert JSON to/from protobuf,
> > and everything else behind it is using protobuf only. The current Any
> > design works with this approach very well.
>
> That approach works well my proposed Any design as well.  Your proxies can
> still walk the object tree and validate and/or convert Any fields as
> necessary for your particular systems.
>
> But that approach is not appropriate for everyone.  Your Any design cannot be
> used by people that require different policies.

> Can you elaborate a bit more? You mentioned the middle system does not know
> google.profile and has no way to get it. Why is that? I think whether the
> middle system knows the type info is the only thing that makes a difference.
> In the google scenario, the middle system always knows all types it will be
> converting from JSON to protobuf and rejects inputs it doesn't know about.

One example I’ve been considering is a local logging service that needs to
decode the messages received from various local agents, set standard fields
(system time, etc), and then recode and store it for later forwarding.  The
service has no need to know the various attached data for the log entries it is
forwarding.  Your current design supports this gracefully for protobuf coding
(Any fields can be decoded and recoded in protobuf without knowing the schema
for the embedded data) but not for JSON.

You can certainly not assume that a local service of this sort always has
network access.

Tim