What version of g++ are you using? Also, do you have a way of determining
what actual line of code the compiler is warning about there?

I tried building with -Wstrict-aliasing=2 at commit df8390790a and saw a
few warnings like this:

./google/protobuf/generated_message_util.h:94:66: warning: dereferencing
type-punned pointer might break strict-aliasing rules [-Wstrict-aliasing]
   const T& get() const { return reinterpret_cast<const T&>(union_); }

But that doesn't look like it's quite the same warning as what you are
seeing.