On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 4:37 PM, <song1...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. I am not using gRPC. I want to use protobuf to
> define RPC, but have a separate or customized transport implementation.

There is no such thing as sync vs. async API in proto definition. It's only
relevant in the generated service API. For example, given:
service HelloService {
  rpc Hello(Request) returns (Response);
}

You can generate code that provides sync API, or generate code that
provides async API:
class HelloService {
 public:
  void Hello(const Request& request, const std::function<void(const
Response&)>& result_callback);
}