Strongly typed enums are supported in Visual Studio 2012 but not 2010 (at
least, not properly). I don't know if there's a protoc option to support
down-level C++, but : updating to a more recent VS version might be an
option. I acknowledge that this is not necessarily trivial. For reference,
the C++ version support table for VS is here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh567368.aspx