On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 12:20:22 PM UTC-5, Adam Cozzette wrote:

> Hi Brad,
>
> We don't have any real contribution guide but just accept pull requests
> fairly informally. Probably the one really important guideline is that if
> you want to add a substantial new feature or make a major change, it's best
> to talk to us (the protobuf team) first before spending much time
> implementing it. If it's a simple tweak or bugfix or whatever, though, feel
> free to just send off a pull request. We just tend to be somewhat
> conservative about making major changes, because we have have to preserve
> backward compatibility with a great deal of existing code, and we are also
> hesitant to add new features or options that will create extra maintenance
> work in the future.
>
> Your pull request looks great (thanks for sending that); I am just waiting
> for the CI runs to finish but I'll merge it once they've run successfully.
>
> Adam

Thanks Adam!  Your guidelines above are very reasonable and I appreciate
the response.  I see my pull request has just been merged so I'll start
cleaning up the other handful of minor fixes I have for our more strict
build environment and push them up.

One follow-up question - for small tweaks/fixes like these, which mostly
are addressing compiler warnings, is an associated github issue helpful?
 Or does it just create more process on your end?  Either way is fine with
me!  :)

Thanks again,
Brad