Extra data at the end would definitely be a problem. That could cause
parsing to return an error, or it might happen to be in the right format so
that it gets parsed as an unknown field (or even a regular known field).

If the serialization returns an error there isn't an API to get more
details about the error--you just have to examine the data manually if you
want to figure out what went wrong.