Hi,

Below is a blocker we are facing related to protobuf which are blocked on,
the github thread for the same is as per
here. https://github.com/google/protobuf-gradle-plugin/issues/431

I am facing the below error while building my app:

Cause: protoc: stdout: . stderr: google/protobuf/descriptor.proto: File not
found.
google/api/annotations.proto:20:1: Import
"google/protobuf/descriptor.proto" was not found or had errors.
google/api/annotations.proto:26:8: "google.protobuf.MethodOptions" is not
defined.
google/api/annotations.proto:19:1: warning: Import google/api/http.proto
but not used.

Can you please point me to the solution to this as I am unable to find any.

Gradle dependencies : App - level gradle :
protobuf { protoc { artifact = 'com.google.protobuf:protoc:3.8.0' }
generateProtoTasks { all().each { task -> task.builtins { java { option
"lite" } } } } } implementation "io.grpc:grpc-okhttp:1.31.1 implementation
"io.grpc:grpc-stub:1.31.1" implementation
'javax.annotation:javax.annotation-api:1.2' implementation
'com.google.protobuf:protobuf-javalite:3.12.0'

Project - level gradle:
classpath 'com.google.protobuf:protobuf-gradle-plugin:0.8.13'
<https://github.com/ejona86>
Collaborator
*ejona86 <https://github.com/ejona86> *commented on Sep 2
<https://github.com/google/protobuf-gradle-plugin/issues/431#issuecomment-685750337>

protobuf-javalite does not support descriptors; it does not have generated
code for them nor the .proto. See protocolbuffers/protobuf#7331
<https://github.com/protocolbuffers/protobuf/issues/7331>
<https://github.com/meghanashastri>
Author
*meghanashastri <https://github.com/meghanashastri> *commented on Sep 3
<https://github.com/google/protobuf-gradle-plugin/issues/431#issuecomment-686278257>

Can you please tell me how to fix this ? Since I cannot use protobuf java
and javalite which I was using earlier, but after updating all my firebase
libraries I have to use only javalite.
Pointing me to fix this would really be helpful.

Thanks.
<https://github.com/ejona86>
Collaborator
*ejona86 <https://github.com/ejona86> *commented on Sep 3
<https://github.com/google/protobuf-gradle-plugin/issues/431#issuecomment-686592584>

The main workaround I would know is to copy descriptors.proto into your
repo and generate code for it. (There's probably a way with gradle to
download the protobuf release zip and extract just the one file; but that'd
be more plumbing.)
<https://github.com/meghanashastri>
Author
*meghanashastri <https://github.com/meghanashastri> *commented on Sep 14
<https://github.com/google/protobuf-gradle-plugin/issues/431#issuecomment-691857195>

Could you please point me to the protobuf release zip ?
<https://github.com/ejona86>
Collaborator
*ejona86 <https://github.com/ejona86> *commented on Sep 14
<https://github.com/google/protobuf-gradle-plugin/issues/431#issuecomment-692165887>

There's a couple to choose from:
https://github.com/protocolbuffers/protobuf/releases/download/v3.13.0/protobuf-java-3.13.0.zip
https://github.com/protocolbuffers/protobuf/archive/v3.13.0.zip
https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/google/protobuf/protobuf-java/3.13.0/protobuf-java-3.13.0.jar
<https://github.com/meghanashastri>
Author
*meghanashastri <https://github.com/meghanashastri> *commented on Sep 15
<https://github.com/google/protobuf-gradle-plugin/issues/431#issuecomment-692511486>

I added the descriptor.proto file in my project.

Got the following error:
Cause: protoc: stdout: . stderr: google/logging/v2/logging.proto:23:1:
warning: Import google/rpc/status.proto but not used.
google/logging/v2/logging_config.proto:21:1: warning: Import
google/protobuf/timestamp.proto but not used.
google/protobuf/duration.proto: File not found.
google/rpc/error_details.proto:19:1: Import
"google/protobuf/duration.proto" was not found or had errors.
google/rpc/error_details.proto:41:3: "google.protobuf.Duration" is not
defined.

So I added the duration.proto in my project and got the following error:

Type com.google.protobuf.Duration is defined multiple times:
/home/lenovo/.gradle/caches/transforms-2/files-2.1/fab9806a52977a742b01bb17fa23656f/jetified-protobuf-javalite-3.12.0.jar:com/google/protobuf/Duration.class,

/home/lenovo/AndroidStudioProjects/NikiLite/app/build/intermediates/javac/debug/classes/com/google/protobuf/Duration.class