I've been working the past few weeks on providing a stable API layer in
Ruby on top of the swig bindings. I've made a few decisions in the
design and want to now float them out here to get feedback.

You can take a look at the WIP in my Github repo [1].

NAMESPACES
==========
The APIs all live within the Qpid::Proton namespace. Each major group of
APIs exist within namespaces below them. For example, the Driver APIs
live within Qpid::Proton::Driver, Qpid::Proton::Driver::Connector and
Qpid::Proton::Driver::Listener.

CLASSES VS MODULE METHODS AND CONSTANTS
=======================================
All of the APIs are module-level methods in the design. There's no need
to instantiate an object to work with them. You only need to pass in the
object types returned by the underlying Proton C implementation.

Enumerated types are represented by classes that provide a simple,
consistent interface for working with symbols that have roughly the same
names as the enum. For example, Qpid::Proton::Trace represents pn_trace_t,
and values can be accessed using Qpid::Proton::Trace::RAW.

UNIT AND FEATURE TESTING
========================
For now I've focused on writing Rspec tests to cover as many conditions
as I can setup, with the goal of keeping the coverage at 100% or within
2 points. Some of the conditions aren't easy to setup, so those I'm
documentingn with a note to fix them in future.

For feature tests, I plan to write those using Cucumber. But I'd like to
start a second conversation there since we can use Cucumber to test
features across all currently supported languages (Ruby, Python, Perl,
PHP, Java). Since Cucumber supports these [2] we can write one set of
feature tests and ensure all implementations and bindings work as
expected.

Questions? Thoughts?

[1] https://github.com/mcpierce/Proton/tree/Ruby-language-APIs
[2] https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber/wiki/