On 20 September 2012 00:32, Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> There are a few folks who are keen to have AMQP 1.0 support for our JMS
> client.
> Given that the parent AMQP TC is starting a bindings and mappings TC
> which will cover JMS, I thought it would be a good idea to get a
> discussion going on here as well.
> We could aim to build the client as we progress through the TC and
> provide feedback if necessary.
>
> On the hand, we've had extensive discussions on building a new JMS
> client from scratch when adding 1.0 support.
> The primary motivation was to address some of the nagging issues
> around the old client.
>
> So far there have been two schools of thought on how to get AMQP 1.0
> support.
>
> 1. JMS Client --> Qpid API --> Proton
>
> 2. JMS Client --> Proton
>
> While option #1 seems like killing two birds with one stone, I think
> we should seriously consider option #2 as well.

So, regardless of which path we take I think we need to carefully define
the functional requirements for our JMS client. Looking at the JIRAs, and
based on the experience of supporting the current client, the two areas
where it causes most problems are 1) failover and 2) addressing.

For  both (but especially failover) I think we need a very clear
understanding of the functionality we are looking for the client to provide
before we can decide which layer it is best placed in. If the functionality
is likely to be common across the JMS and Qpid APIs then it would seem
sensible not to write this code directly into the JMS layer.

Before we start cutting any code I think we need general agreement in the
Qpid Java community about the functionality that is required and where it
is going to be implemented (and ideally we should also be coordinating by
whom it is going to be implemented also :-) ).

-- Rob