One goal behind this thread was to get ideas on how to answer these
questions coming from a new user.
So thanks a lot for your answers.
I've had the privilege of speaking to Rafi several times, so I had a
fair bit of knowledge on each of those questions.

These are the sort of questions a prospective user would have.
>From past experience pointing people at examples or a header file to
figure out the API hasn't been great.
I'm not insisting we should do things one way or the other, but wanted
to have a discussion to see what peoples thoughts are on the $subject.
My opinion is that some sort of a document that describes the API (and
perhaps and FAQ) could be quite useful.

Otherwise we will be getting a lot of queries from end users and
testing folks about what the correct behaviour is.

Rajith