I like this idea. Right now I'm at a loss to understand what all the
factory business is for, and I'm actually pretty familiar with the
codebase. I don't think our users stand a snowballs chance in hell of
sorting through the myriad of factories, factory impls, service loaders,
and service loader impls needed in order to get started with even a simple
example.

The current Proton.java class is a step in the right direction, however
with all the other factories lying around it kind of gets lost in the
noise. It would be good if we could enforce a single entry point at the
code level, and what you're describing sounds like it would be pretty
simple/easy to explain to users. It would be nice if we could get to the
point where we have only one public entry point class inside each impl.
IMHO, that would make the API way more discoverable even with only minimal
javadoc.

--Rafael