Since I have pretty much given up on trying to work on proton, I'm not sure
that my opinion counts for much anymore... however I suppose I'm a little
curious how the JNI binding differs in "extra work" vs. PHP or Ruby or
such. Similarly why the API distinction is "hasty" when again it should
(modulo some language idiom changes) reflect the API that the C is
presenting to Ruby/PHP/Python/etc.

To me the fact that APIs aren't defined but that instead the only way of
knowing what a particular call should do seems to be 1) look at the code in
C and, if it's not clear, then 2) ask Rafi; is why I no longer feel it
productive to try to contribute.  As such, it seems that this change is
more about vertical scaling (making it easier for Rafi, and those sitting
very near him, to work more productively), than horizontal scaling
(allowing people who are not Rafi or with easy access to him to work on
it).

Overall I don't care very much about Messenger in Java (either pure Java or
JNI), but I do care about the Engine.  When the Proton Engine was first
discussed it was always said that the C code should be able to be called
from within Java as an alternative to a pure Java impl. - has this changed?

Going back to the horizontal vs. vertical scaling... If the project were
structured differently I would be very happy to contribute to the engine
side of things in Java.  However I think that would require us to be
organised differently with a recognition that the Engine and Messenger are
conceptually separate (with Messenger depending on the Engine API, and
having no more authority over defining/testing the engine API than any
other client - such as the C++ broker, ActiveMQ, or the upcoming JMS clent,
etc.). As such I would rather see us fix the definition of the API (if you
believe it to be "hasty") rather than simply try to remove any notion of
their being an API which is distinct from the implementation.

-- Rob