On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 11:02:59AM -0500, Rafael Schloming wrote:
<snip>
> For more info on how to integrate with Ruby's GC you can read this
> article[1]. It's one of the few pieces of documentation I've found that
> actually explain how to keep a reference from C to a Ruby object.
>
> [1]
> http://clalance.blogspot.com/2013/11/writing-ruby-extensions-in-c-part-13.html

This blog post shows how to manually do what Swig is doing for us:
represent a C struct as something Ruby can touch, with hooks to release
memory when GC runs on the Ruby wrapper. But, sadly, it's not showing
what we need, which is how to assign a reference to a Ruby object to a C
struct and then have Ruby not GC that Ruby object.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/