Github user rhs commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/qpid-proton/pull/34#issuecomment-108444308

    Hi Preston, sorry to take so long to look at this.

    My impulse here would be to avoid using a checked exception for
HandlerException. I generally follow the advice that you should only use
checked exceptions for error conditions that a programmer can anticipate and
recover from, and I'm not sure that's the case here. It's nice to have the
HandlerException for debugging and clarity so it's obvious when the handler is
at fault rather than the reactor implementation itself, but I'm not sure how
someone could catch and recover if it is thrown. Making it unchecked would also
allow you to avoid the EventImpl changes you mention in your comment.

---
with INFRA.
---