Each component simply sets the "product" and "version" entries into
its connection properties map, which use a map with amqp symbol keys,
e.g Symbol.valueOf("product"); in the case of proton-j.

For example, the JMS client does it here:
https://github.com/apache/qpid-jms/blob/0.8.0/qpid-jms-client/src/main/java/org/apache/qpid/jms/provider/amqp/builders/AmqpConnectionBuilder.java#L106

Robbie