For this sort of question, you are better off using the rubyonrails-
spinoffs group:

XML and JSON are different things.  If using XML, make sure you pass
the header 'Content-type: text/xml' so IE will give you access to the
responseXML property.  If you choose to pass JSON (instead of, or in
addition to XML), you can try the X-JSON header.

May I also suggest you Read The Fine Manual at prototypejs.org.

TAG