Tom Gregory a écrit :
> 1) Does this solution continue to work when borders are assigned with
> element/class selectors, rather than inline?

Probably not, as the "style" property does not always contain computed
styles, as Thomas will gladly tell you (and as Scripty's code is ample
proof of).

> 2) I seem to recall there is something screwy with how borders are
> handled in IE's broken box model. How would that affect this
> solution, if at all?

It's not just IE, it's QuirksMode.  In quirks, the width and height
values *encompass* padding and border.  In standards mode, they are only
the content area (they are within the padding).

On every browser out there (well, on IE6+ and others, that is), if your
document explicitely refers to a strict DTD, you're in standards mode in
this respect.

JS code dealing with this issue should probably not much care about
quirks or standards: it's the page developer's responsibility to style
according to their DTD ref (or lack thereof).

--
Christophe Porteneuve a.k.a. TDD
"[They] did not know it was impossible, so they did it." --Mark Twain