On May 24, 5:53 am, "Mislav Marohnić" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Andrew, it doesn't matter - getElementsByClassName tends to extend EVERY
> node in the document! If that isn't slow I don't know what is.

No, it doesn't.  It extends only those nodes that match the class
name. I've personally spent quite a bit of energy to ensure that
getElementsByClassName performs as well as possible under the
circumstances, even in IE.

To the author: nothing has changed about the behavior of
getElementsByClassName since 1.5.0 final. It's *possibly* slower than
it was in 1.4 final (because of the cost of extending each node with
instance methods) -- but there have been some optimizations since 1.4,
too. If it seems slower to you in the future, try doing a side-by-side
comparison -- the Test.Unit framework packaged with the full source of
Prototype makes it easy to run benchmarks. That way we can get some
hard numbers.

Cheers,
Andrew