It's a browser bug in setAttribute, IIRC.  el.checked does not always
equal el.getAttribute('checked'), and under some circumstances,
el.setAttribute('checked', true) does not change el.checked.  I think
el.disabled has the same problem.

Attached are unit tests and a patch (based off the trunk as it was in
August--I thought I sent this then, but looking back through my sent
items, it doesn't look like it was delivered).

TAG