I'll try to get to it over the holidays.  Things are crazy here at
the moment--it's one emergency after another.

IIRC, the browser behaves normally if *only* the "direct" method of
setting element properties (i.e. el.disabled = true;), or if *only*
(write|set)Attribute is used.  Mixing the two causes problems, as is
shown in the test cases in one of the previously attached patches.

The other patch (the fix) performs the writeAttribute as normal, then
checks to see if element[attributeName] matches value--if not, it
changes it directly.

When I go back through it, I'll re-test in IE7/Firefox2/Safari3, and
note which browsers misbehave.  (IIRC it was Firefox; I'll log bugs
against Firefox too, if need be.)

TAG