Well, there's more elegant ways to handle that than converting each
and every call to a global than the one you're using.

Using a closure could be a solution.

Dean's got an interesting system in base2 for that kind of stuff:
http://base2.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/src/base2/Package.js

Personally, I'm not too fond of namespacing, as imho it just
encourages poor coding practices. There's technically no reason afaik
(except laziness maybe) to include another framework on top of
Prototype (and yes, I know Digg does so - shame on them !).

But I'm ready to hear any sound argument in that direction.

Best,

Tobie