Ben,
you would need to select elements starting the search from a context
node which is not actually possible with simple $$() (but there maybe
another way I don't actually know).

If you go the DOM way (getElementById and then getElementsByTagName)
all form elements have a "form" property which is a back reference to
the owning form if present.

Another property you may find useful is the "type" property also
available on all form elements. Checking one of these property in a
loop over the elements will be enough.

I am quite confident this will be possible shortly by using the
existing $$() method.

Diego Perini