Hi,
You probably want something more like this:
<script type="text/javascript">

 document.observe("dom:loaded", function() {
   $('englisch').observe('change', function() {
     $('div').replace('<p>This is English</p>');
   }
});
</script>

The first problem is that you used # which is unneeded because $ assumes the
value is an ID. The second is that you were observing the wrong event. You
probably only want to make the change once the select has changed and the
'change' event will do that for you. The last thing I changed is switching
to using observe instead of directly setting the onWhatever property. This
is the preferred way of doing things in prototype.

For future reference, this isn't the place to post questions like this.
Instead, go to http://groups-beta.google.com/group/prototype-scriptaculous

Allen Madsen
http://www.allenmadsen.com