Try observing the SELECT for the 'change' event, and then check the current
value of the SELECT. The OPTION element won't receive the focus event.  Try
something along the lines of:

document.observe("dom:loaded", function(){
$("select").observe("change", function(){
if ($("select").value == "Englisch") {
  // do something
}
});
});

That snippet, along with the markup, can be cleaned up and optimized a good
deal further, but that should get the basic event working properly.

Alex