I was wondering where that discussion had gone; looking at the 1.6.1
source I thought "Strange, does this do the stuff from the discussion
and I'm missing it?"

@kangax:  The patch I'm seeing[1] still uses slice, which we can
probably improve on.  Doesn't mean we shouldn't commit the patch and
then try to improve from there, though.

[1]
https://prototype.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8886/tickets/599/a/101731/with_method_renamed_to_fn.patch

-- T.J.