Hi again, Robert.

The patch linked by kangax certainly doesn't account for the various
things we discussed back then.

It notably doesn't document the reasons why and how your (very smart)
implementation works.

That patch also has various "stylistic" issues which I remember
discussing and that we had all agreed to modify for a final patch.

If I recall correctly, this patch just didn't make it in because a
final, reviewed and cleaned up patch wasn't submitted. An unfortunate
yet frequent issue with OSS.

Given the amount of work that was put in this patch and the huge perf
benefits it brings about, I think it makes sense to add it to an
otherwise frozen 1.6.1 version provided a proper patch gets submitted.

Best,

Tobie

Unrelated P.S.: Would appreciated not seeing my first name
butchered. :-)