I came across this problem myself.  I think prototype should provide some
type of API for things like this.  In all my apps, I have a prototype_ext.js
file that make small modifications/enhancements to prototype.  It would be
nice to be able to do something like this:

prototype_ext.js:
Prototype.HTMLEntities.add('&blah;', '0x0039');
or
Prototype.HTMLEntities.add({
  '&foo;': '0x0039',
  '&bar;': '0x0040'
});

Kind of like Rails and its custom inflections.