Good point (and sorry if the tone of my earlier post came out wrong,
that wasn't my intention).

There's indeed a number of entities which are part of the HTL 4.01 spec
[1].

It's legitimate to want to be able to convert those, notably when
dealing with legacy or external content.

However, given the sheer size of the code compared its usage (now that
utf-8 is ubiquitous), I don't think this belongs in Prototype core.

Would be welcomed as a plugin, though.

Best,

Tobie

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/sgml/entities.html