On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 5:51 PM, kangax <kan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 19, 9:39 pm, Arjen Nienhuis <a.g.nienh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Prototype adds a extra parameter &_= to every GET Ajax.Request done by
>> any WebKit browser. This is done to fix a bug in an old version of
>> Safari.
>>
>> I'd like to see this feature removed for these reasons:
>>
>> - That version is of Safari is not used any more. (which version was it
>> anyway?)
>
> So you don't know which version it is, but you know that it's not used
> any more? Sorry, I'm not following such logic.
>
> From what I remember, it was Safari 2.x that had problems with empty
> POST bodies. We still support Safari 2.0.4 (but not any other lower
> version of 2.x), so if 2.0.4 is affected by this bug, we can't just
> drop it.

You're right: it's POST not GET:

    if (params = Object.toQueryString(params)) {
      if (this.method == 'get')
        this.url += (this.url.include('?') ? '&' : '?') + params;
      else if (/Konqueror|Safari|KHTML/.test(navigator.userAgent))
        params += '&_=';
    }

But it's not empty POST bodies as it's only added if params != "".

I don't know which version of Safari it is because I cannot find any
documentation about it and it's a real pain to install an old version
of safari.

The extra parameter is there to catch garbage that Safari would add to
the end of a POST body. This way the garbage is in the extra parameter
not in the important parameters.

By accident I stored the extra parameter in the database of my webapp.
I have 20000 of them in one table. None of them have a value other
than the empty string(*). That's why I know that the workaround is no
longer needed (or at least not that badly).

Can we add a check for version 2.x of Safari for the workaround?

Should this be documented?

Groeten,
Arjen Nienhuis

(*) Well I loaded and stored the data multiple times and prototypes
adds the underscore even when it's already there so I actually store
things like {'foo': 2, 'bar': 5, '_': ["", "", "", "", ""]}. Yay!