My issue was more that the API is confusing. It states that all
callbacks can be registered with Ajax.Responders and this is not true.

I hate messing about with prototype source code - I much prefer to
write my own classes that extend it - as then theoretically they
should still work with future prototype versions. So I've gone with
switching on the status in an onComplete registered with an
Ajax.Responders.

It would just be more semantic if I could have a on404, on419 (my user
input invalid error code) etc callbacks. This is something that should
be included in future prototype versions - I'm sure given the
conflicts in the API that there was an intention for this in the last
version anyway.