You could use a queue of requests, such that 6 won't be sent until 5
has returned.  It puts a bit of a bottleneck on the XHRs but will
maintain a stable sequence.  I've written an article on how to
approach something like this, review at your leisure,
http://positionabsolute.net/blog/2007/04/ajax-request-queue.php