Hi Kruncher... We use .NET with prototype (and Ext, jquery, etc)... it works
fine with any client libraries you want to use - just don't use their
ASP.NET <http://asp.net/> Ajax crap :)

Anyway...

We just override the Date serialization on the server. As you know, there
are already a vast number of built in Date.ToString() method overloads
possible in the .NET server side (which accepts a formatting string of
course).

We chose UTC (instead of ISO 8601 as TJ suggests)... and we just employ a
UTC string to Date converter on the client side (in our transport layer so
it's abstracted from the developer).

I'll talk to my guys and see if we can publish some of that code...

--
Ryan Gahl
Manager, Senior Software Engineer