I don't know about this "entire document" idea, if they're freely
typing anywhere, A) As Justin mentioned shortcuts such as ctrl T for a
new tab might be broken, and B) They're going to have no idea what
they've already typed nor have any idea how many times they've hit
backspace when trying a new search etc.  There has to be some form of
data representation for the input.