I think a scriptaculous autocompleter is the best solution to this
problem. You don't want to muck about with where the user is on a page
unless you absolutely have to, and an autocompleter doesn't have to
work like it's a "drop down". You can just change the population of
the ul and leave it as a plain bullet pointed ul rather than styled as
a "popup" below the form.

Besides, you could offer this functionality then any user with a half
decent browser (even IE 6+) can search the page using the browser's
native search and that will automatically jump around to the
results.This way you offer users both possibilities.