You could very easily work out whether or not it's a loading issue by
putting alert()'s or console.log()'s at the start of each file to
check each is being loaded.

Element#display is NOT in the current prototype API. Therefore it's
been deprecated and then removed, almost certainly. You'll have to
translate the word "widget" in the context you used it for me to be
able to help further, apart from the suggestion that you could in a
custom js file (after prototype.js) do this:

Object.extend(Element, {
  display: function(element, bShow) {
    if(bShow) { Element.show(element); } else
{ Element.hide(element); }

That will add the display method to element. I haven't actually looked
at the prototype source in detail - it always does exactly what I
want, it's usually scriptaculous I'm extending and playing around with
- but code similar to that listed above will work, just don't copy and
paste that exactly, understand that it's extending prototype's Element
object by adding the display function so that it will be available to
your widget.