Forms added to a document via innerHTML (which Ajax updater uses) are
not recognized at part as the DOM. You can add fields to a form this
way, but not forms themselves.

You may need to add a <form> tag (using new Element) then put the
contents of your form inside it. Alternately, you can have the <form>
tag as part of your HTML to begin with.