Hi,

Yes, the handler will remain in memory. You'll want to call
stopObserving() before calling remove(). As of 1.6.0, you can call
stopObserving() with just the element (no event name or handler), and
Prototype will remove ALL handlers that were set up with observe()
from the element.

HTH,
tj / crowdersoftware / com