> 1) Cache the reference to your bound function, like so:
> 2) Pass the correct parameters when attempting to stop observing:

Not sure what version it was introduced in, but the latest of
Prototype allows you to call stopObserving on just the element(which
will remove all handlers for that element) or call it on the element
only passing the event in(which will remove all handlers for that
specific event).

So I would make sure you are using the latest version of Prototype and
if so then I would make sure that your stopObserving call is actually
being invoked on the elements you expect it to. This small example
worked for me...

  <head>
    <title>test</title>
  </head>
    <input type="button" value="click me">

    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/
ajax/libs/prototype/1.6.0.2/prototype.js"></script>

    <script type="text/javascript">
      var clicked = function() {
        alert('hi');
        $$('input').invoke('stopObserving');
      }

      $$('input')[0].observe('click', clicked);
    </script>

Just curious...how do you know that the OK button will alert if you
removed the parent with this.lbElm.remove();? Isn't the OK button gone
at that point?